- Juicy Grilled Tomatoes
- 8 pounds cherrystone clams
- Two 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Scrape the tomatoes and their juices from the packs into a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- In a large pot, combine the clams and clam juice and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the clams open, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to a large bowl. Remove the clams from their shells, coarsely chop the meat and reserve. Strain and reserve the clam broth. Rinse out the pot.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the reserved clam broth, potatoes, chicken broth, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over moderately low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot, cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir in the chopped clams and season the chowder with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.