Tomato and Sweet Onion Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
To eliminate the unpleasant sharpness of onions, Chilean cooks thinly slice them and then soak them in salted or sugared water.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, toss the onion slices with the sugar and cover with cold water. Let soak for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the onion, then pat dry.
- Layer the tomato and onion slices on a large platter or in a bowl; season generously with salt and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the jalapeños and cilantro and serve.