Tomato-and-Peach Salad with Crisp Tofu
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Hugh Acheson combines sweet, salty, spicy and tangy flavors in this exceptional summer tomato salad, tossing peaches, pickled serranos and crisp tofu together with a zippy ginger-lime dressing.
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained well and cubed
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 peaches, cut into wedges
- 1 cup arugula or mizuna
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Put the serranos in a small heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil with the vinegar, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the brine over the serranos and let stand for 15 minutes, until cooled to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, mustard and 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook over moderate heat, turning, until crisp, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Season with salt.
Juicy Pinot Noir–based rosé.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.