Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Frozen Balsamic Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN plus 1 1/2 hr freezing
- SERVINGS: 6
At Bouchée in Carmel, California, Walter Manzke tops his unconventional tomato, mozzarella and watermelon salad with scrapings of tangy balsamic granita.
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds assorted tomatoes, including halved cherry, pear or grape tomatoes and large tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup seedless watermelon cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In an 8-inch-square glass baking dish, mix the balsamic vinegar and water. Freeze, stirring every 20 minutes with a fork, until the crystals are no longer slushy, about 1 1/2 hours.
- On a large platter, arrange the sliced tomatoes and mozzarella in a slightly overlapping circle; season with salt and pepper. Scatter the cherry tomato halves, watermelon cubes and basil on top and drizzle with the olive oil. Scrape the granita over the salad with a fork, and serve.