Tomato and Goat Cheese Gratin
- SERVINGS: 12
- 4 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup coarse white bread crumbs
- 1 pound fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup Calamata olives (4 ounces), pitted
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Toss the tomatoes with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and arrange them, cut side down, on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake the tomatoes for about 30 minutes, or until they exude some of their liquid. Carefully pour the juices into a glass measuring cup. Discard the tomato skins.
- Roast the tomatoes for 20 minutes longer. Scatter the garlic around the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and roast for about 5 minutes longer, or until the garlic is tender. Lower the oven temperature to 375°.
- In a small skillet, toast the bread crumbs over moderate heat, stirring often, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Arrange half of the tomatoes in the baking dish. Top with the goat cheese, garlic, parsley and oregano and cover with the remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle the olives on top. Drizzle with the reserved tomato juices and scatter the bread crumbs over all.
- Bake the tomato-goat cheese gratin for about 40 minutes, or until bubbling and golden on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.