- Ten 1/2-inch-thick slices of white peasant bread
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces thickly sliced serrano ham, finely diced
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toast 4 slices of the bread for 8 minutes, or until lightly dried out. Cut off the crusts; cut the toasts into 1/2-inch cubes.
In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the garlic, vinegar and the 1/4 cup of olive oil until smooth. Add the toasted bread cubes and puree until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the <em>salmorejo</em> to a bowl and refrigerate until lightly chilled, about 30 minutes.
Preheat a grill pan. Brush the remaining 6 bread slices with oil; grill over high heat, turning, until toasted. Transfer the bread to plates and ladle the <em>salmorejo</em> on top. Garnish with the egg and ham and serve.
The salmorejo can be refrigerated overnight.