© Quentin Bacon
Tomato and Garlic Dip
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
- Ten 1/2-inch-thick slices of white peasant bread
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces thickly sliced serrano ham, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toast 4 slices of the bread for 8 minutes, or until lightly dried out. Cut off the crusts; cut the toasts into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the garlic, vinegar and the 1/4 cup of olive oil until smooth. Add the toasted bread cubes and puree until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salmorejo to a bowl and refrigerate until lightly chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan. Brush the remaining 6 bread slices with oil; grill over high heat, turning, until toasted. Transfer the bread to plates and ladle the salmorejo on top. Garnish with the egg and ham and serve.
Make AheadThe salmorejo can be refrigerated overnight.