Tomato and Garlic Dip
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
- Ten 1/2-inch-thick slices of white peasant bread
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces thickly sliced serrano ham, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toast 4 slices of the bread for 8 minutes, or until lightly dried out. Cut off the crusts; cut the toasts into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the garlic, vinegar and the 1/4 cup of olive oil until smooth. Add the toasted bread cubes and puree until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salmorejo to a bowl and refrigerate until lightly chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan. Brush the remaining 6 bread slices with oil; grill over high heat, turning, until toasted. Transfer the bread to plates and ladle the salmorejo on top. Garnish with the egg and ham and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.