- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound beef eye of round or top round, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, finely chopped, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the meat, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until no pink remains, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, oregano and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their juice and the tomato paste and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened over low heat, about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
One 1/2-Cup Serving 151 calories, 6 gm total fat, 1.4 gm saturated fat.