- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, sliced
- 1 small green chile, chopped
- 1 small bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 small bunch cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) boneless chicken breasts, skinless, cut into chunks
- A pinch of sugar
- 8 (7-inch) flour tortillas
How to make this recipe
In a blender, puree 1 pound of the tomatillos, chile, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot, then stir in the on-ion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chicken, the remaining tomatillos and sugar, then cook, stirring until the chicken is cooked and the tomatillos are softened, about 6 minutes.
Divide the filling between the tortillas. Roll each tortilla into a cylinder and place, side-by-side in a baking dish. Pour the reserved salsa verde over the tortillas.
Bake the enchiladas until the filling is hot, about 10 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro sprigs and tomatillo slices.