© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Tofu with White Wine-Cherry Tomato Compote
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
Simmer gorgeous, juicy tomatoes in white wine before serving over crispy tofu and garnishing with basil.
Slideshow: More Tofu Recipes
- One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Basil, for garnish
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1/2–inch thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and add the butter. After the butter is melted, stir in the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is soft.
- Pour in the wine and simmer for about 3 minutes or until the wine is reduced in half. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 seconds or until the tomatoes are heated through.
- Plate the tofu and spoon the tomatoes and sauce over the tofu. Serve warm garnished with basil.