© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Tofu with Bell Peppers and Spicy Oyster Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
Bell peppers add both color and crunch to pan seared tofu, which is paired with an oyster sauce spiked with spicy Thai chilies.
Slideshow: How to Make Tofu
- One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil), divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-2 Thai chilies, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Sliced green onions, to garnish
- Pat the tofu block dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until the garlic is soft. Stir in the oyster sauce, water, chilies and bell pepper. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender.
- Garnish with green onions and serve warm or at room temperature.