© Chris Court
Tofu Salad with Chestnuts and Apple Dashi
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
David Chang’s light and elegant no-cook dish features custardy silken tofu in a sweet and savory Fuji apple broth.
Slideshow: More David Chang Recipes
- 2 cups Fuji apple juice (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons shiro dashi (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon untoasted sesame oil
- One 12-ounce package soft silken tofu, drained and cut into 4 slices
- 2 cooked chestnuts, thinly sliced
- Light green frisée leaves, for garnish
- Wasabi oil, for garnish (see Note)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple juice, shiro dashi, soy sauce, sherry vinegar and sesame oil. Set the tofu in 4 shallow bowls. Top with the chestnuts and frisée. Pour the apple dashi around the tofu (reserve any remaining dashi for another use). Drizzle with a few drops of wasabi oil and serve.
Notes Fuji apple juice is available at supermarkets and juice bars, or you can make your own. Shiro dashi is a stock made with soy sauce, white soy, bonito (a type of fish)and seaweed. Shiro dashi and wasabi oil are both available at Asian markets.