Â© Fredrika StjÃ¤rne
Tofu, Green Bean and Shiitake Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 pound very fresh green beans, sliced on the diagonal into 1/3-inch lengths
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- Put the tofu on a rimmed baking sheet and top with another baking sheet. Set 2 large, heavy cans on the sheet and press the tofu for 30 minutes. Drain the tofu and cut it into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a small bowl, stir the lime juice with the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, the sugar and the crushed red pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shiitakes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and cook over moderate heat until the shiitakes are tender, about 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer the shiitakes to a medium bowl. Add the diced tofu, raw green beans, scallions, shallot, cilantro, mint and the dressing and toss. Spread the lettuce leaves on a platter. Spoon the salad over the leaves and serve.