- 2 teaspoons instant dashi powder (see Note)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame (3 ounces)
- One 14-ounce package firm silken tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- One 5-ounce bag baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons bonito flakes, optional (see Note)
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, bring the dashi and water to a simmer. Add the grated ginger, sliced shiitake, edamame, tofu and water chestnuts and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the spinach, soy sauce, mirin and lemon juice and stir just until the spinach is wilted. Serve in bowls with the scallion and bonito.
Instant dashi is Japanese stock made from bonito (dried tuna flakes) and seaweed. Look for it in the Asian section of supermarkets.