Tofu Beignets with Raspberry Dipping Sauce
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Melissa Rubel Jacobson makes her faux beignets with firm tofu instead of dough; coated with cornstarch and fried, the tofu becomes light and crisp.
Recipe Tips from F&W Editors
More Tofu Dishes
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu—drained, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup raspberries (6 ounces)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels and drain for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the jam with the raspberries. Bring to a simmer and cook over moderate heat until the raspberries begin to break down, about 4 minutes. Pour the raspberry sauce into a bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. In a medium bowl, gently toss the tofu with the cornstarch until well coated. Add the tofu to the hot oil and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until light golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer the tofu beignets to paper towels to drain.
- In a medium bowl, toss the hot beignets with the confectioners' sugar until well coated. Serve at once, with the warm raspberry sauce for dipping.
Make AheadThe raspberry sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Rewarm before serving.