© Tina Rupp
Tofu-and-Vegetable Tacos with Eggplant-Ancho Spread
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Alyssa Gorelick wraps grilled vegetables and tofu in tortillas with an eggplant-and-ancho-chile spread that gives the tacos a rich, smoky taste. The spread is also delicious as a dip with pita chips.
- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu, cut crosswise into 6 slabs
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper—cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 small tomatoes, halved
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Smoky Eggplant-Ancho Spread
- Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet and top with another baking sheet and several plates. Let stand for 1 hour to press out some of the excess water. Pat the tofu dry.
- In a bowl, combine the wine, olive oil, mint and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add the squash, zucchini, onion, pepper, tomatoes and tofu; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the vegetables in a grill basket over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until tender, 10 minutes. Grill the tofu directly on the grates, turning, until charred all over, 8 minutes.
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the Eggplant-Ancho spread. Add the tofu and vegetables, fold up the tacos and serve.
Notes One taco: 280 cal, 17 gm fat, 1.8 gm sat fat, 26 gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 9 gm protein.
Bright, citrusy Oregon Pinot Gris.