- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Crushed red pepper
- 3 cups bottled clam broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 dozen littleneck clams, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the spaghetti and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and a large pinch of crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the clam broth and water and bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook over moderate heat until the pasta is barely al dente, about 8 minutes. Nestle the clams into the pasta, cover and cook until the pasta is al dente and the clams open, about 7 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water if the pasta is too dry. Stir in the parsley and serve.
A light, zingy, minerally Albariño from Rías Baixas has the acidity to balance the briny clams.