Toasted Cornmeal Corn Bread
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: makes one 9-by-13-inch corn bread
This sweet, moist corn bread makes a perfect accompaniment to meaty pork chili, though it's quite delicious all on its own. Toasting the cornmeal first gives the corn bread a heartier flavor.
More Bread and Biscuit Recipes
- 2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup honey, warmed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan.
- In a medium skillet, toast the cornmeal over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the honey and eggs. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk until moistened. Add the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the corn bread cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Make AheadThe corn bread can be wrapped in foil and kept at room temperature for up to 2 days. Reheat in the foil.