- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 ounces basmati rice (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 cardamom pods, gently crushed
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt and cardamom pods and cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes without removing the lid. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. In the same skillet, toast the coconut until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the almonds.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice. Remove the cardamom pods. Stir the toasted almonds and coconut into the rice and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.