© Chris Chen
Toasted Bread with Olive Oil, Garlic and Herbs
- SERVINGS: 6
Bread that's grilled over an outdoor fire has a delicious, woodsy flavor and needs only the simplest of toppings.
Slideshow: Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 6 slices of country bread, cut 1 inch thick
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large ripe tomato, halved
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- Light a grill. Brush both sides of the bread slices with the olive oil. Grill the bread over a moderately hot fire until lightly charred, about 1 minute per side. Rub the hot toasts with the garlic, then the tomato. Sprinkle the toasts with the herbes de Provence and serve at once.
The toasty flavors of this recipe are a wonderful match for a luxurious Champagne.