Toasted-Barley Mashed Potatoes
- SERVINGS: 4
These simple, hearty mashed potatoes owe their rich creaminess to buttermilk and their appealing texture to toasted pearl barley.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 pound red or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk, warmed
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock or chicken stock, or 2 cups canned chicken broth mixed with 1 cup of water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook the barley over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the Vegetable Stock and thyme and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain the barley. Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Bring to a boil over moderate heat and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, return to the pan and keep warm.
- Pass the hot potatoes through a ricer or food mill or mash with a potato masher. Stir in the barley and warm buttermilk, season with salt and pepper and serve.
NotesOne Serving Calories 203 kcal, Protein 6 gm, Carbohydrate 41 gm, Cholesterol 1.9 mg, Total Fat 1.9 gm, Saturated Fat .3 gm.