Thyme-Scented Pearled Barley
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 4 cups
Ingredient Tips from F&W Editors
Salads with Grains
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley (10 ounces)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups water
- Kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the pearled barley and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly toasted; the grains will turn slightly opaque just before browning. Add the onion and thyme and cook over low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the water and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over very low heat until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Fluff the grains and discard the thyme sprigs. Season the grains with salt and serve.
Make AheadThe cooked grains can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.