Thyme-and-Chile-Marinated Chicken and Feta
- SERVINGS: 4
Buy the feta cheese in one large chunk so you can cut eight slices thick enough to broil without crumbling.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 to 3 hot red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 pound feta, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 large bunch arugula (6 ounces), large stems discarded
- Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the olive oil with the thyme, brown sugar, chiles and a generous pinch of pepper. Reserve one-third of the marinade in a small bowl. Add the chicken pieces to the remaining marinade and turn to coat. Transfer the chicken to a broiling pan; broil 8 inches from the heat for about 35 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through.
- Set the feta on a small baking sheet and brush with the reserved marinade. Broil, turning once, for about 2 minutes, or until sizzling and golden.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the vinegar. Add the arugula, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Arrange the salad, chicken and feta on 4 plates and serve.
A fruity wine with good acidity is essential to counterbalance the spicy-sweet glaze on the chicken. Try one of Australia's lime-scented Rieslings from Clare Valley or Margaret River.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.