- Two 1 1/4-pound porterhouse steaks, cut 1 1/4 inches thick
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup beer, preferably American lager
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
How to make this recipe
- Light a gas grill. Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the barbecue sauce with the beer.
- Oil the grill grate. Grill the steaks over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Baste the steaks with the barbecue sauce and grill, turning and basting occasionally, until glazed and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 120° for medium-rare meat, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Reservas from Spain's Rioja are aged in oak for at least three years, resulting in deeply concentrated wines that are terrific with steak.