- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 16
Use this recipe as a template for any mixed mushroom-and-grain salad. Excellent options include brown rice, wild rice, black or white barley, farro or couscous.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cups quinoa
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms—stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 pound hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, torn into large pieces
- 3 cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°. On a small baking sheet, toast the pine nuts for 7 minutes, until they are lightly golden. Transfer the pine nuts to a very large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa, broth and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 minutes; transfer to a baking sheet and let cool.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the cremini mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to the bowl with the toasted pine nuts. Add another 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add half of the portobellos, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes; transfer to the bowl. Repeat with 2 more tablespoons of oil and the remaining portobellos; transfer to the bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, 7 to 8 minutes; add to the bowl.
- Stir the cooled quinoa, lemon dressing and chopped parsley into the mushrooms and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.
Serve mushroom-based vegetarian dishes like this salad with light-bodied red wines, like Dolcetto di Dogliani from Piedmont or Beaujolais.