Three-Minute Bean Sprouts
- SERVINGS: 4 SIDE-DISH SERVINGS
These delicious bean sprouts should come to the table piping hot and still slightly crisp. The Chinese often cut off the ends of the sprouts before cooking, but Naomi Duguid and Jeffrey Alford think that's unnecessary.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 scallions—halved crosswise, finely julienned and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound bean sprouts
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Set a wok over high heat until it's very hot. Add the oil. When it's very hot, add the scallions and bean sprouts and stir-fry vigorously for 1 minute, tossing and pressing the vegetables against the hot wok. Add the salt and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and rice vinegar and stir-fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate and drizzle with the sesame oil. Toss gently and serve immediately.