© John Kernick
Three-Greens Soup with Sausage and Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
To add a little heat to this hearty soup, consider making it with spicy Italian sausage.
Plus: Great Soup Recipes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 pound baby white potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces curly spinach, thick stems discarded
- 1/2 pound kale, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 basil sprigs, plus chopped basil, for garnish
- 4 ounces escarole, leaves torn (4 cups)
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the clumps, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot along with the potatoes, shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the shallots are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and kale, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the broth and the basil sprigs and bring to a boil. Partially cover and simmer until the greens and potatoes are tender and the soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Discard the basil sprigs. Stir in the escarole and sausage and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with chopped basil and serve.
Make Ahead The soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve With Crusty bread.