Three-Greens Soup with Sausage and Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
To add a little heat to this hearty soup, consider making it with spicy Italian sausage.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 pound baby white potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces curly spinach, thick stems discarded
- 1/2 pound kale, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 basil sprigs, plus chopped basil, for garnish
- 4 ounces escarole, leaves torn (4 cups)
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the clumps, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot along with the potatoes, shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the shallots are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and kale, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the broth and the basil sprigs and bring to a boil. Partially cover and simmer until the greens and potatoes are tender and the soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Discard the basil sprigs. Stir in the escarole and sausage and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with chopped basil and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.