Three-Grain Cereal with Dates and Cinnamon
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Quinn Hatfield cooks big batches of pearled barley and quinoa to keep in his refrigerator for this hot cereal, which comes together in minutes. He also uses the grains in salads. The mixture of cinnamon and chopped dates makes this breakfast nicely sweet—no extra sugar needed.
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces Medjool dates (about 8 dates with pits)
- Boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- Pinch of cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the pearled barley over moderate heat for about 30 minutes, until tender. Drain the barley in a colander and shake off all of the excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, cover the dates with boiling water and let stand for 1 minute. Drain the dates in a colander and let them cool. Peel and pit the dates and chop them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In another medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the oats and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cooked barley and quinoa, cinnamon and half of the chopped dates and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Spoon the cereal into bowls, sprinkle with the remaining dates and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.