Three-Citrus Custard with Fresh Figs
- SERVINGS: 8
A citrus trio makes a custard that's simultaneously sweet and tart.
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely grated grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 8 ripe fresh figs, preferably green and purple, cut into thick wedges
- Butter cookies, for serving
- In a double boiler or a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan with 1 inch of simmering water, whisk the lemon, grapefruit and orange juices with the eggs and sugar until combined. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until smooth and thick, 10 to 12 minutes; do not let the custard boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Strain the custard into a bowl and stir in the grated citrus zests. Stir fro 1 minute to cool slightly, then cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Spoon the citrus custard into shallow bowls or stemmed glasses and garnish with the fig wedges. Serve the custard with butter cookies.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.