© Fredrika Stjärne
Three-Chile Beef Chili
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
With coffee, dark beer, smoky bacon and three kinds of chiles, this is one deep, rich, spicy pot of beef chili.
Slideshows: Chili Recipes
- 2 ancho chiles
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles
- 3 dried chipotle chile
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 whole garlic cloves, plus 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Three 14.5-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 ounces meaty bacon, diced (1 cup)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups stout beer
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 8 cilantro sprigs, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Three 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a heatproof bowl, cover the chiles with boiling water and let stand until softened, 15 minutes; drain. Stem and seed the chiles and transfer to a blender. Add the coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, thyme, garlic cloves and one-third of the tomatoes; puree.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add half of the ground beef and brown over moderately high heat, about 2 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate. Repeat with the remaining ground beef.
- Add the onion and bacon to the pot and cook until the onion is golden. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and chile puree and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, beer, coffee, tortilla chips, cilantro and remaining tomatoes and season with salt. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over moderate heat for 1 hour. Add the beans and cook uncovered for 1 hour. Season the chili with salt.
Make AheadThe chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serve WithSour cream, grated cheddar and tortilla chips.