Three-Cheese Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Pimientos
- SERVINGS: 4
Fontina, Roquefort, and Parmesan form the sassy cheese trio here. Their piquant flavor blends delectably with the pimientos and sweet golden onions.
- 1/2 cup drained sliced pimientos (two 4-ounce jars)
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions (about 4 pounds in all), cut into thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 12-inch store-bought pizza shells, such as Boboli
- 6 ounces fontina, sliced thin
- 6 ounces Roquefort or other blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Heat the oven to 425°. In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the pimientos with the vinegar and set aside.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pimiento mixture.
- Divide the onion mixture between the 2 pizza shells. Top each with half of the fontina, Roquefort, and Parmesan.
- Bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack (for a crisper crust) or on two baking sheets until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
The cheeses and sweet onions call to mind Sangiovese's crisp cherry and herb flavors and high acidity. For a change, opt for a lesser-known Sangiovese di Romagna instead of Chianti.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.