- 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Emmentaler cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Brie—rind discarded, cheese cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 1/4 cups dry sparkling wine
- 2 teaspoons kirsch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cornichons, cubed bread and sliced fennel, for serving
- In a bowl, toss the cheeses and flour. Rub the inside of a fondue pot or an enameled cast-iron casserole with the cut sides of the garlic. Add the sparkling wine and simmer over moderately low heat for 3 minutes. Add the cheese in small handfuls, stirring constantly until melted before adding the next handful. Stir in the kirsch and nutmeg. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with cornichons, bread and fennel.
The fondue can stand at room temperature for 4 hours. Let cool slightly, then press plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Remove the plastic before reheating.
Creamy, splurge-worthy Champagne.