- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Chef Way Whole black lentils, split Bengal gram (split dried chickpeas) and red kidney beans all need to soak overnight for this soothing, creamy bean dish.
Easy Way Quick-cooking split yellow peas and canned beans make this recipe fast but still totally satisfying.
More Easy Indian Recipes
- 1 cup yellow split peas (7 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Basmati rice and warm naan, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the split peas and a generous pinch of salt and boil until just beginning to break down, about 50 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the ginger, garlic, jalapeño, cumin and cayenne and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook until the tomato is slightly broken down, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, butter and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the yellow split peas, chickpeas and kidney beans and season with salt. Simmer over low heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Serve with basmati rice and naan.