Thin-Sliced Beans with Citrus Zest and Chives
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News: Heidi Swanson takes string beans (which have twice as much iron as spinach) and slices them thinly on the bias, a preparation she discovered while traveling in Southeast Asia. Use a food processor fitted with a slicing blade to save time.
More Healthy Vegetable Recipes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound green string beans and yellow wax beans, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the beans and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook the beans until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add the zest and chives and cook, stirring, until the beans are tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Stir in the lemon juice and serve.