- 4 teaspoons Demerara or other raw sugar
- 12 ounces hot brewed coffee
- 6 ounces aged rum, preferably Ron Zacapa 23
- 3 ounces Strega (saffron-infused liqueur)
- Averna Cream (see Note), for garnish
- In a heatproof pitcher, stir the sugar into the coffee until dissolved, then stir in the rum and Strega. Pour the coffee into warmed mugs or heatproof glasses and spoon the Averna Cream on top.
Averna Cream: In a medium chilled bowl, whip 4 ounces chilled heavy cream with 1 ounce Averna amaro and 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar until soft peaks form. Use the cream immediately. Makes enough for 4 drinks.