The Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This fried chicken from chef Shaun Doty of Bantam + Biddy in Atlanta is a no-fail, no-fuss version of classic fried chicken with a perfectly crunchy seasoned crust (the trick is the cornstarch) and juicy meat.
- 6 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the seasoned flour. Dip the coated chicken in the egg, then dredge again in the seasoned flour and transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 3/4 inch of oil to 360°. Set a rack over another baking sheet. Fry half of the chicken over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted nearest the bone registers 165°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to the rack. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Serve right away.
There are myriad opinions for fried chicken: Champagne, Pinot Noir, even Lambrusco. Try the minerally NV Christian Etienne Champagne Brut.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.