The Ultimate Chocolate Pudding
- SERVINGS: 6
Dress up this chocolate pudding for grown-ups with sweetened vanilla-flavored whipped cream and chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces top-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Working over a large bowl, sift 1/2 cup of the sugar with the cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the milk to make a smooth paste; scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to be sure everything is well mixed.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of sugar and bring just to a simmer over moderately high heat, stirring. Reduce the heat to moderately low and stir in the cocoa paste. Whisking constantly, boil the mixture for 1 minute. Strain the mixture over the chocolate in the bowl. Add the vanilla and stir until the pudding is smooth.
- Pour the pudding into six glasses or 1-cup ramekins and let cool to room temperature. Cover the puddings and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
Pair with a cream sherry, such as Harveys or the Emilio Lustau Rare Cream Reserva Superioor a cup of dark-roasted coffee.