- SERVINGS: MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
Based on the ever popular Reuben, this sandwich is made with smoked turkey instead of corned beef and coarsely chopped coleslaw, for crunch.
More Sandwich Recipes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 1/2 cups thickly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped sweet gherkins
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 3/4 pound Jarlsberg cheese, cut into 16 thin slices
- 1 pound smoked turkey breast, cut into 16 slices
- In a medium bowl, mix the ketchup and mayonnaise. Add the green cabbage, onion, sweet gherkins, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add 2 slices of the rye bread to the skillet and top each with 2 slices of Jarlsberg cheese, then 4 slices of smoked turkey, about 1/2 cup of coleslaw, 2 more slices of Jarlsberg and another slice of bread. Cook the sandwiches over moderately low heat until the bottoms are toasted and the cheese on the bottom is melted, about 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over, press them down and add 1 more tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Cook until the second sides are browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plates and repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 2 more sandwiches.
Turkey, cheese, mayonnaise and ketchup on rye don't require a subtle match, just a cool glass of fruity, grapey Beaujolais-Villages from France, such as Georges Duboeuf or the Louis Jadot.