The Breslin's Ricotta Pancakes with Orange Syrup
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Guests at Ace Hotel can order April Bloomfield's pancakes in their rooms or at her restaurant, The Breslin. While the pancakes are delicious on their own, they're exquisite with the soft ricotta topping, crunchy sliced almonds and ingeniously vibrant (and neon-bright) orange syrup.
- 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fine white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Toasted almond slices, for serving
- MAKE THE ORANGE SYRUP Peel the zest from the orange in long strips and julienne. In a saucepan of boiling water, blanch the zest for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat. In the saucepan, simmer the orange juice, sugar, water and blanched zest until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- MAKE THE RICOTTA TOPPING In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- MAKE THE PANCAKES In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. In another large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg yolks and ricotta. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. In a large, clean stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold them into the batter.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat a thin film of vegetable oil. Drop in 1/4-cup dollops of batter and cook over moderately high heat, 2 minutes per side, until golden and fluffy. Serve about 3 pancakes per person. Pass the orange syrup, ricotta topping and toasted almonds at the table.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.