Thai-Style Tofu Salad
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Laab (also called larb) is a ground-meat salad from Northern Thailand and Laos. In her vegetarian take, Melissa Rubel Jacobson crumbles soft tofu, then tosses it with a refreshing mix of cucumber, mint, cilantro, shallot and jalapeño. It's delicious scooped into lettuce leaves.
- 1 1/2 pounds soft tofu (not silken), drained
- 1/2 large seedless cucumberhalved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Red leaf lettuce, for serving
- Crumble the tofu into a fine strainer set over a bowl to drain for 25 minutes. Discard the liquid.
- In a large bowl, toss the cucumber with the cilantro, mint, shallot and jalapeño. Add the tofu, fish sauce and lime juice and toss gently. Spoon into shallow bowls and serve with lettuce leaves for wrapping.
Caramelly pale ale: Anderson Valley Boont Amber.