© Keller & Keller
Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The light coconut milk in this Thai-style vegetable stir-fry creates a silky sauce. The tofu is remarkably nutritious, and recent research on soy has shown that it can significantly lower total cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion along with the ginger, garlic and jalapeño and stir-fry over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric, then add the shiitake mushrooms, broccoli and carrot and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, tofu, water and soy sauce to the skillet and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are al dente, about 4 minutes. Stir the chopped basil into the vegetables, transfer to plates and serve immediately with lime wedges.
Notes One Serving 223 cal, 12 gm fat, 4.7 gm saturated fat, 16 gm carb, 2 gm fiber. Serve With Steamed rice.