© Keller & Keller
Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The light coconut milk in this Thai-style vegetable stir-fry creates a silky sauce. The tofu is remarkably nutritious, and recent research on soy has shown that it can significantly lower total cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion along with the ginger, garlic and jalapeño and stir-fry over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric, then add the shiitake mushrooms, broccoli and carrot and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, tofu, water and soy sauce to the skillet and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are al dente, about 4 minutes. Stir the chopped basil into the vegetables, transfer to plates and serve immediately with lime wedges.
NotesOne Serving 223 cal, 12 gm fat, 4.7 gm saturated fat, 16 gm carb, 2 gm fiber.
Serve WithSteamed rice.