Thai-Style Shrimp Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
- SERVINGS: 4
Executive chef Patrick Callarec at Maui's Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, tosses his crisp vegetable and shrimp salad with a tropical coconut milk dressing. Thai curry pastes are available in the ethnic-foods section at supermarkets.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 cups (packed) mixed baby greens, such as arugula, frisée and spinach
- 1 pound jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 large scallions, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, peanut butter, vinegar and red curry paste until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, blanch the shrimp until they start to curl, about 1 minute. Drain the shrimp and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens, jicama, bean sprouts, scallions, carrot, red pepper and cilantro. Add the shrimp and the coconut dressing and toss well. Mound the salad on 4 large plates and serve at once.
The spicy peanut dressing pairs well with an unfussy light Italian white, such as a Pinot Grigio.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.