- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 cups (packed) mixed baby greens, such as arugula, frisée and spinach
- 1 pound jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 large scallions, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, peanut butter, vinegar and red curry paste until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium saucepan of boiling water, blanch the shrimp until they start to curl, about 1 minute. Drain the shrimp and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens, jicama, bean sprouts, scallions, carrot, red pepper and cilantro. Add the shrimp and the coconut dressing and toss well. Mound the salad on 4 large plates and serve at once.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate the shrimp and dressing separately and let them return to room temperature before finishing the salad.
The spicy peanut dressing pairs well with an unfussy light Italian white, such as a Pinot Grigio.