- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 5-pound watermelon—rind and seeds removed, flesh cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (8 cups)
- 12 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh hot red chiles, such as Holland or cayenne, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup lightly packed Thai basil leaves, torn
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, fish sauce, <em>sambal oelek </em>and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Add the watermelon, radishes, scallions and red chiles and toss. Fold in the mint and basil, season with salt and pepper and serve right away.
With this spicy salad, Colicchio poured a ripe rosé from nearby North Fork winery, Lieb Cellars.