- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Thai chile, minced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large egg whites
- Cornstarch, for dusting
- 1 pound cleaned small squid, bodies cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles halved
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon and lime zests and juices and the Thai chile. Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Set a rack over a rimmed baking sheet. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg whites. Spread cornstarch in another shallow bowl. Working in four batches, dip the squid in the egg whites; press out any excess egg. Dredge the squid in the cornstarch and shake off any excess. Fry the squid in the hot vegetable oil until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squid to the rack. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer the fried squid to a platter and serve immediately, with the chile-lime mayonnaise.