Thai-Style Chicken Legs
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 8 whole chicken legs, split, or 8 drumsticks and 8 thighs (about 5 pounds total)
- Thai sweet chili sauce, for serving (see Note)
- In a blender, combine the garlic, cilantro, fish sauce, vegetable oil, hoisin sauce, coriander, kosher salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Arrange the pieces of chicken in a large, shallow glass or ceramic dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken and turn to coat the pieces thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. When the coals are covered with a light gray ash, push them to opposite sides of the grill and set a disposable drip pan in the center. If using a gas grill, turn off the center burners.
- Arrange the chicken on the hot grate above the drip pan and away from the coals, skin side down. Cover and grill for 40 minutes or until the skin is crisp and the meat is cooked through. Transfer to plates and serve with Thai chili sauce.
These sweet, spicy legs need a white wine that offers both richness and refreshing acidity, which almost perfectly describes Sicily's native Inzolia. It's typically blended with other grapes, such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.