- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, plus more for serving
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 6 to 10 butter lettuce leaves, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the curry paste, 1 tablespoon of the grapeseed oil, fish sauce, grated ginger, Sriracha, shallot, basil, lime zest and salt. Add the ground chicken and panko and mix gently by hand until combined. Form the mixture into 8 patties 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil until shimmering. Working in batches, cook the patties over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Serve the chicken patties in the lettuce leaves, passing more Sriracha at the table.
Tip: Make 4 large patties and serve them on buns topped with lime-dressed shredded cabbage for a new take on the burger. Tip: Make the patty mixture into mini-meatballs instead and poach in chicken stock. Add cooked rice noodles and a splash of coconut milk for a quick soup. Tip: Serve with rice paper wraps, lettuce, and pickled vegetables for DIY summer rolls. One serving: 269 cal, 9.7 gm fat, 1.4 gm sat fat, 13.5 gm carb, 1 gm fiber, 32 gm protein.