- 1/2 pound Portobello mushrooms, stemmed, caps coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, stemmed, caps coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crumbled dried red chile or crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves
- Tender Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the mushrooms, cover partially and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the mushrooms.
- In a mortar, pound the garlic and sugar to a paste. Add the chile and pound to blend. Add the lime juice and fish sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl. Add the shallots and dressing and toss gently to coat. Add the mint and toss again. Line a platter with the lettuce leaves and mound the salad on top. Serve at room temperature, with rice.
Thai Sticky Rice or Thai Jasmine Rice.