Thai Grilled Beef Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Pino Maffeo adorns this vibrant grilled beef salad with different types of micro mint.
Easy Way Steal his recipebut leave out the micro mint.
- Four 4-ounce beef tenderloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges, for serving
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1 seedless cucumberpeeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons salted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat a grill pan. Rub the steaks with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125°, about 12 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the water with the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, fish sauce, lime juice and sambal and let cool. Add the cucumber, onion, bean sprouts, mint and sliced steak and toss well. Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve right away, with lime wedges.
Peppery, spicy Zinfandel.