Thai Green Salad with Duck Cracklings
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 8 duck confit legs—skin cut into fine strips, meat shredded (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 pounds baby Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the duck skin over moderate heat until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cracklings to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet and add the meat. Cook over moderate heat until tender and crispy in spots, about 7 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a mortar (or using a mini food processor), pound the ginger, garlic, chile and brown sugar to a coarse paste. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and water.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the mint, cilantro, duck, cracklings and dressing. Transfer to plates and serve.
Lightly sweet German Riesling.